If the only person it saves is you, it's enough.


In-between belting out Mary Poppins in the car, bawling my eyes out to This is Us on the T.V., and editing away on the computer, I enjoy reading.  Brett says I'm a speed reader which works entirely to my advantage since I'm now a mama to three kids and time is of the essence. 

This year alone I've read 24 books.  About 10 or 12 books in I realized this was the year of the memoir.  Something about that raw, gritty, deeply feeling kind of writing is totally my jam.  I get it and it gets me.  I plan to share a few of my favorites from this year, but that's another post for another day.  

Today I want to share a few quotes from Jen Hatmaker's book Of Mess and Moxie that stopped me right in my tracks.  They sum up so well this intrinsic need I have to create.  Whether the social media world or anyone outside of my home for that matter, ever sees it at all.  

"You are not required to save the world, or anyone for that matter, with your art.  It isn't valuable only if it rescues or raises money or makes an enormous impact.  It can simply be for the love of it.  That is not frivolous or selfish in the slightest.  If the only person it saves is you, that's enough."

"If you wait until you have natural margin to create, you will go to the grave empty-handed. If you want to produce something, go ahead and create your thing.  Creators create.  Makers don't wait for someone else to tell them they should or can.  Next, creating requires work.  All the dreams and ideas in your head have to transition to your hands, and I'm afraid there is no other way. Art requires time.  Finally, one last point is that everyone wants to be famous or important but fewer want to work on their craft.  Take a class, take a course, go to a conference, join an artist group, study creators you admire in your genre.  Notice what inspires you and moves you and speaks to you."

Well friends, this speaks volumes to me.  Volumes.  It is the reason why in-between dancing between the million little things that make up life, I throw in some creativity.  Even if it's something as simple as spray-painting some pumpkins. 

What is your heart longing to spend time on?  Is there a way to make space for this, at least a few minutes a day or week? 


2 comments:

  1. That is so true. I wish I had figured it out earlier but I suppose I was busy with other things. Anyway I'm doing it now and very happy and productive no matter what I'm making. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Sara! It's the reason I get up at the crack of dawn every single day - to write and create with my words. When I'm not doing it, I feel like I'm missing something big in my life.

    ReplyDelete

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.