What is saving my life.

Nothing like a loaded title to make you sit up extra straight, huh? 
This post isn't as serious as it sounds, so stick with me.  

On Jen Hatmaker's podcast (For the Love) she often ends by asking her guests what is saving their lives.  The immediate answer that comes to my mind is Jesus, OBVS.  I wouldn't live, breathe, love, or move an inch without him.  But the flip side to that question is the simple, the silly, or even the sometimes serious.  What things in this crazy thing called life are saving yours? 

That's where I want to go today. So much of my life currently I can't go into on the blog, or don't even want to.  I still hold the title of mama/foster mama, although differentiating between the two only seems necessary for the rest of the world. The kiddos in my home know me as just plain mama.  We still have our little one and will for quite some time.  When we jumped to a family of five it was like someone rolled over on the fast forward button and fell asleep, life whizzing by faster and faster.  This season finds me with new emotions, new adventures and challenges, and enough to fill a book.  Or even two or three. Hardly any of it is able to be contained in small talk or even in words for now.  Still I try and I fill up my laptop with the stories of this season, for my eyes and soul only, hidden in the notes section on my Mac.

I will say this adjustment to having three kiddos has meant we are busier than ever, our schedule packed day by day.  Each minute carefully disciplined and accounted for. But, there are more than a few things that are saving my life, so to speak. Extra joys tucked in, conversations that play over in my mind, rich things and sayings and quotes that stick in my brain.  Here is what is saving my life, the silly and serious both: 

Painting/sketching, even if five minutes at a time!
Jen Hatmaker's podcast, For the Love
chewing gum
Lara bars
kombucha 
tea, all the hot tea
Dang Good Decaf by Mountainbird coffee
coffee in general
podcasts while folding laundry at night
essential oils in the diffuser
Christy Nockel's album, Be Held
real-life conversations with friends and family
reading at night
Gilmore Girls, over and over
fires (when it's ever cool enough, lol)
the twinkle of the Christmas tree
taking photos with my Nikon 
scripture
a warm bath
jammies
clean eating
exercising a few times a week
smiles and "Good Morning!" from the teachers in the car line
baby jabber
baby kisses
time with my big girls, doing big girl things like decorating or painting nails
food prep (saving dinner time, daily)
both silly and serious time with Brett
staying on top of the laundry, house chores, cooking, first! 
warm weather (turn the kids loose outside!)
the book Church of the Small Things

the following songs: 
Never Once by Matt Redman
No Longer Slaves-Bethel
Oceans-Hillsong
Great are you Lord-All Sons and Daughters
Keep the Light On-Christy Nockels
You have what it takes-Christy Nockels

and one of my very favorites, photo sessions!! I have done a couple and have one scheduled this weekend as well.  Here are a few photos of my twin sister's precious family I quickly snapped on Thanksgiving. 










Now it's YOUR turn! What is saving your life, so to speak? 

*you can book your own photo session with me by emailing sunshinebysara@hotmail.com**













No comments:

Post a Comment

I've got a new blog! Come see. :)

Room for the Rosy  is my new blog. I hope you'll come see.